Understanding the Body in a Yoga Practice
June 23-25: Wilmington, NC
Take a journey through the body and explore fundamental anatomy and how it is applied to the functional movement of a yoga practice. Get a deeper understanding of key structures within your body as well as how to move them more intelligently so you can build and maintain a safe, solid, life long practice. Thorough interactive, hands on discussions will offer material in a clear understandable format. The principles covered in lecture will then be applied in Vinyasa style classes open to all levels. Whether you are looking to start a practice, deepen your functional awareness, or a teacher looking to sharpen your skills, this workshop is for you!
· Move systematically through the body identifying key structures to better understand their role in a Yoga practice
· Learn the functional movement patterns of a safe, sustainable, and beneficial practice
· Learn to use this knowledge base to identify and correct common compensation patterns and protect against common injuries.
· See how to safely move with modifications and support in order to maintain postural integrity and maximize the benefits of a practice.
Friday June 23, 6-8pm
- a short discussion about the body and its role in the practice of yoga followed by a Yin style practice
Saturday June 24, 10am-1pm
- The Spine: a look from the perspective of form and function. How to move safely in all six ranges of freedom in the spine. A Hatha style practice will follow discussion
Saturday June 24, 2-5pm
- Shoulders: By understanding the most mobile joint in the body (shoulder), learn to move with stability and build functional strength protecting both your long term health and practice. A Hatha style practice will follow discussion
Sunday June 25, 9am-11pm
- Core: Get an expanded view of area that often gets improperly isolated. Learning how to work evenly in this area contributes greatly to our overall health and helps maintain vitality through our years. A Hatha style practice will follow
Sunday June 25, 1-4pm
- Hips: Begin to delve into this highly complex region of the body and see how a balanced approach of strength and flexibility can help maintain joint health and stability. A Hatha style practice will follow discussion
**All Hatha style practices will be taught "workshop" style, for all levels, at an accessible pace, and are intended for the implementation of the material covered in discussion.
**Cost: $40/session (in advance); $175 for the entire weekend; $45/session day of
**available for 13hrs CEU